Power Supply Industry News
Knowledge is Power ™
SMPS Design Tools
Principal Electrical Engineer Power Supply - Rockell Collins, Cedar Rapids, IA
This position is for a Principal Electrical Engineer to develop hardware used in high performance communication products, such as software-defined radios and data links. As part of our team, you'll be exposed to cutting edge technology and have the ability to significantly contribute to the creation of our newest products.
The ideal candidate will be able to design solutions that meet our challenging airborne and ground communication requirements. Primary assignments will include:
- Performing technical trade studies
- Leading technical proposal preparations
- Participating as a subject matter expert for various reviews, and serving as a hardware architect to capture, analyze, decompose, translate and create requirements for hardware of high complexity. This requires the use and application of electrical engineering principles and techniques, and may involve hardware components or mixed electrical technologies for airborne and ground communication products.
- Selected candidate will work closely with Program Management, Engineering Leadership, Systems, Software, Mechanical, Environmental Effects, Manufacturing/Operations and Design-to-Cost staff to assure defined requirements are consistently met in all phases of a product's lifecycle.
Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline.
- Experience designing circuit boards and leading technical proposal preparations, performing trade studies, and participating as a subject matter expert in technical reviews
- Experience with digital electronics design principles
- Proficiency with schematic capture tool
- Experience in aspects of the digital hardware life cycle, including requirements capture, design and development, debug and test, and requirements validation
Additional experience a plus:
- Knowledge of FPGA, ARM, DDR memory is highly desired. Knowledge in the areas of high speed digital design and power electronics design practices is also desired.
- Circuit board design
- Domain knowledge of digital electronics and experience with digital electronics design principles and techniques (e.g. Microprocessor/microcontroller, DSP, FPGA, ASIC, ADC, DAC)
- Working knowledge of digital circuit design parameters (e.g., throughput, rise time, clock frequencies, propagation delay). Includes knowledge of computer hardware components (e.g., processors, memory, interfaces), and characteristics (e.g., throughput, processing architecture, timing, capacity).
- Working knowledge of analog and/or high speed digital circuits using FPGAs and microprocessors along with associated interfaces, including: Ethernet, SGMII, RGMII, SPI, I2C, USB, LVDS, PCI and PCI express bus technologies, and DDR3 memory interfaces. Experience with power conversion, op amps, A/D and D/A converters.
- Working knowledge of switched mode power supplies, including AC/DC and DC/DC power conversion with various topologies (isolated and/or non-isolated) that meet aircraft power/EMI requirements described under MIL-STD-704, MIL-STD-461, and DO-160).
- Proficiency with standard test equipment including oscilloscopes and logic analyzers, together with experience in troubleshooting analog and digital circuitry.
- Experience leading technical proposal preparations, performing trade studies, performing detailed analyses, and participating as a subject matter expert in technical reviews
- Design tools experience with schematic capture, requirements capture, requirements capture, signal integrity and timing analysis (ex. DxDesigner, DOORS, and Hyperlynx).
- Understanding of Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Test (DFT), Reliability analysis, PWB layout and routing rules, & EMC design
Ability to effectively communicate in a professional manner and produce effective, clear and concise technical documentation.
- Ability to participate in cross-functional team efforts and perform against documented hardware design processes
More info clicks
Power Supply Industry News, online since 2002.
SMPS Power Supplies
™. All rights reserved.